Are you a fan of fluffy, warm & delicious idlis? So simple yet so perfect! Idli is a food with no boundaries, you can have any time of the day, also you don’t even need sambhar every time you can just enjoy it with your favourite chatni. Also, you can recreate so many different varieties and kinds of dishes centred around idli.
On this World Idli Day we give you some interesting facts & trivia related to idlis you might not know
1. The earliest mention of Idli is in a 10th Century Kannada text ‘Vaddaradhane’ as ‘iddalage’.
2. Idli has countless variations as people of South India and Sri Lanka emigrated throughout the world.
3. Idlis are also easily digestible, which strengthens the point of them being very healthy breakfast choices.
4. Mavalli Tiffin Rooms of Bengaluru claims to have invented Rava Idli when rice was of short supply during World War 2.
5. An idli fills you up with fewer calories. Each idli contains 39 calories & contains no saturated fat or cholesterol.
6. Idli has countless variations as people of South India and Sri Lanka emigrated throughout the world.
7. The fermentation process increases the bioavailability of proteins and enhances the vitamin B content of the food.
8. Did you know that in earlier times, leaves were used instead of the moulds, to make idlis?
So go right now and have a plate of hot steaming idlis with sambhar and chatni! Enjoy this south Indian delight until it leaves a idli shaped hole in your heart! ^_^
Also tell us which of these idli facts amused you.